Consumer Rights Campaigners in Malawi Reject Calls By the Government Not to Hold Demonstrations on January 17th
Malawi’s Consumer Rights Campaigners on Thursday rejected calls by the government not to hold demonstrations planned for January 17th and instead submit themselves for dialogue.
The spokesperson of the group Kingsley Mabalani told a press conference in the commercial city of Blantyre that the demonstrations would still go ahead as planned.
He said they were the only way of drawing serious attention from the government about the state of the economy and the deteriorating standard of living in the country.
"In our plans, we have outlined a six point petition to be presented to the government to address them within a two week period" he said.
The points include floatation of the local currency the Kwacha, addressing the high cost of living, stamping out corruption, deal with fuel shortages and overpricing and check high inflation.
President Joyce Banda had inherited a battered economy from the late Bingu Wa Mutharika whose economic policies and authoritarian leadership style were blamed for the debilitating social ills plaguing the country.
Banda had pledged to reverse the controversial policies of her predecessor, address the economic slide and improve social services.
She had succeeded President Bingu who died in April.
Foreign donors had cut aid to Malawi after President Bingu was accused of bad governance and indecisiveness in dealing with cases of corruption and heavy-handedness against political activists who had led demonstrations against the economic challenges facing the country.
At least 20 people were killed in anti-government demonstrations late last year as people protested over policies they blamed for their worsened situation.
Source African Press Agency
African News from NetNewsPublisher.com