Joint Law Enforcement Operation has Seized More Than $1.5 Million Worth of Cocaine And Three Firearms During the Execution of Two Search Warrants in Sydney
A joint law-enforcement operation has seized more than $1.5 million worth of cocaine and three firearms during the execution of two search warrants in Sydney yesterday.
The seizures follow an investigation by Operation Polaris, which is a joint waterfront operation comprising the NSW Police Force, Australian Federal Police, Australian Customs and Border Protection Service, Australian Crime Commission and the NSW Crime Commission. It is a whole-of-government response targeting serious and organized criminal activity at New South Wales sea cargo terminals.
About 6pm yesterday (Wednesday February 6 2013), Polaris officers executed a search warrant at a residence in Breakfast Point, in Sydney’s south.
During this search, investigators located four blocks of cocaine weighing 5.2 kilograms with an estimated street value of $1.3 million. Officers also seized a large quantity of anabolic steroids and cash, including an amount of foreign currency.
Investigators also executed a search warrant at an address in Hinchinbrook, where they seized additional cocaine with an estimated street value of $250,000.
At this address, officers also seized three firearms – a six-shot 357 Magnum revolver; a 15-shot semi-automatic Ruger pistol; and a 223 Ruger semi-automatic Carbine rifle with a 30-shot magazine – along with significant quantities of ammunition and a gun safe.
Earlier in the day, police arrested a 33-year-old Breakfast Point man during a vehicle stop on Merrylands Road, Merrylands. He was taken to Merrylands Police Station.
Following the execution of the warrants, the man was charged with:
- Possess/attempt to, anabolic or androgenic steroidal agent;
- Recklessly deal with proceeds of crime; and
- Supply prohibited drug in excess of large commercial quantity.
It will be alleged the man has been importing and distributing large quantities of cocaine through the NSW waterfront.
He faced Fairfield Local Court today (Thursday February 7 2013), where he was refused bail to appear in the same court on 17 April 2013.
Investigations are ongoing, and the man is also expected to be charged with firearm and further drug offences.
Operation Polaris Commander, Detective Superintendent Peter McErlain, said the investigation demonstrated the effectiveness of a multi-agency approach to disrupt criminality on the waterfront.
“Operation Polaris will continue working in close cooperation with our colleagues at other agencies to target organized crime on the waterfront, including illicit drug importation, money laundering, proceeds of crime, container theft and corruption,” Detective Superintendent McErlain said.
Source: AFP Net News Publisher for Australian News
Net News Publisher for Australian News